Frequently Asked Questions
Origin, Mandate and Composition of UNCITRAL
- What is the mandate of UNCITRAL?
- What does UNCITRAL mean by the "harmonization" and "unification" of the law of international trade?
- Who participates in the drafting of UNCITRAL texts?
- How many States are members of the Commission?
- What are the regional groups represented within the Commission?
- How are the interests of developing countries taken into consideration by UNCITRAL?
- Is UNCITRAL part of the World Trade Organization (WTO)?
Methods of Work
- What is the difference in a member State and an observer State?
- What rights and obligations does a State undertake by participation in UNCITRAL?
- What is a "Working Group"?
- How are decisions taken at UNCITRAL?
UNCITRAL and Public Law Issues
- Does participation in UNCITRAL diminish state sovereignty?
- Does the work of UNCITRAL affect consumer protection legislation?
- Does the work of UNCITRAL take environmental issues into account?
Vacancies and Internships
- How is it possible to work for UNCITRAL Secretariat?
- Does UNCITRAL offer scholarships or other financial assistance to students and scholars?
UNCITRAL and Private Disputes / Litigation
- Does UNCITRAL offer legal advice in specific disputes, administer arbitrations or recommend legal practitioners?
- What does "arbitration under the UNCITRAL rules" mean?
- I am involved in a dispute with a company and our contract provides for arbitration pursuant to the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules. Does UNCITRAL provide assistance in the dispute?
- Who may use the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules?
- Can UNCITRAL provide an authoritative interpretation of domestic law?
- What is the difference between the UNCITRAL Model Law on International Commercial Arbitration (1985) and the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules?
- What is the difference in an UNCITRAL legislative text and an UNCITRAL non-legislative text?
- What is the difference between a model law and a convention?
- Are there "signatories" to Model Laws?
- State "***" is listed under the "Status of Conventions and Enactments of UNCITRAL Model Laws" as having signed a particular UNCITRAL Convention. Does that mean that the Convention applies to that State?
- How do I determine if a State is a party to a Convention? How do I determine if a State has enacted an UNCITRAL Model Law?
- What is the copyright policy of UNCITRAL concerning the reproduction and distribution of UNCITRAL texts?
The UNCITRAL Website
- My computer will not display some of the documents contained on the UNCITRAL website. What's wrong?
- Are all UNCITRAL texts available on the UNCITRAL website?
- Are the texts posted on the UNCITRAL website in their final version?